Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Am I Alone?


by Gariane Phillips Gunter, M.D.








Am I Alone? by Megan Hance

I get a funny feeling, it comes from deep inside.

I get all mad and angry, wanting to go and hide.

My doctor calls it depression, my dad says it's just me.

But the thoughts and feelings, no one will ever be able to see.

Some say I'm psycho, some say I'm just weird.

It's like I'm a different person, and the old me just disappeared.

I get really edgy, I want to commit suicide real bad.

Then I get a headache, followed by feeling sad.

I wish I could get help, I wish it would go away.

Maybe if I keep praying real hard, it will some day.


I came across this poem and think that the author does a beautiful job of describing the stigma often experienced by those with mental illnesses. The holiday season can be a particularly difficult time as symptoms of depression and anxiety may flare, and feelings of hopelessness creep in.

If you feel yourself slipping away, please contact your doctor or a friend and get help right away. Receive the gift of treatment that everyone deserves. I wish you all a safe and Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are reviewed before posting, and comments that include profanity or other inappropriate material will not be posted. The comment section is not intended as, and is not, a substitute for professional medical advice. All decisions about clinical care should be made in consultation with your treating physician. If you need help with a mental health issue, please visit our resource page.